1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Ready for some summer fun Guest?

Then be sure to checkout the shoutbox summer games schedule so you can be involved with the games and activities in the shoutbox all through the summer. Click here for the full schedule
  3. Just as a friendly reminder, in order to post a new thread or update your status, you have to post at least 5 messages on the forum. This is to help us reduce the amount of spam bots posting on the forum. Enjoy your time :)
  4. Howdy Guest!

Be sure to apply to compete in the Official 3DS Buzz Mario Kart 8 Tournament which takes place this Summer with FREE stickers up for grabs! Click here for more info.

No Wii U? No problem! We're also having a Mario Kart 7 Summer Tourney! Join now!

Why i'm against downloadable 3DS titles

Discussion in '3DS/2DS/DS' started by elite nintendo, Jun 13, 2012.

1. elite nintendo
    Goomba

Message Count:
    Friend Code:
    5069-3947-0346
    Hey guys

I know that everyone's excited that nintendo is starting to step up their online gaming, they have recently (well, not exactly recently.. ) announced that they will be having retail 3DS titles as downloadable titles. This got everyone excited, but, I for one, am against this.

1. You get a better value
    Nintendo has stated that downloadable titles will cost the same as retail titles. In that case, you get a better deal because you get the packaging, the game card, and the booklets inside for the same cost as the game alone as a downloadable.

2. Download time is too long
    Did you see that it takes long to download a demo? so how long will it take to download a full game? probably a long time...

3. Transferring the game
    Say your cousin wants to borrow your game. Easy, just give him the game card. With a downloadable game you cant do that anymore. If there was a transfer system, it would take waaaaaay too long.

So, that's why I'm against downloadable games. What do you guys think? give me your opinions in the comments
    Fire Mario and Darth Vader like this.
  2. Etain
    Goomba

Message Count:
    I'm also against them, mainly because of sale prices that I get from retail stores. However about borrowing games, don't the games get downloaded to the SD card which you could just hand to a friend to put in his 3ds to play the game?
  3. elite nintendo
    Goomba

Message Count:
    Friend Code:
    5069-3947-0346
    SD cards will only work with the 3DS they were originally used with. If you use your SD card on a friend's 3DS, that 3ds will not recognize the SD card and therefore, not read it
  4. Leonidassss
    Goomba

Message Count:
    Friend Code:
    0130-2446-1566
    Personally I'm pretty excited about a chance to actually use my 16 gb memory card.
    Don't ask me why, but I like the idea of having all my games storage on the system, rather than carrying cartridges I do think they should lower the prices at least a little bit thought
    Dragonwarrior and jaymichael78 like this.
  5. elite nintendo
    Goomba

Message Count:
    Friend Code:
    5069-3947-0346
    ^maybe... But I like organizing the game boxes on my shelf in my bedroom :p
    Sam+3ds and Jalm8487 like this.
  6. Mr. Fuego
    Writer

Message Count:
    These are all valid reasons, but I'm not against downloadable games.
    It depends on your situation, sometimes Digital Downloads can be better.
    Unless Nintendo games become download only, I don't mind the option.
  7. Etain
    Goomba

Message Count:
    So if that's the case, if I bought an SDHC card which is compatible with 3ds and plugged it into my 3ds would it then only work for my 3ds or would it work for others also? or Is it that just the original SD card that it comes with is programmed to only work in the 3ds you bought it for?
  8. Leonidassss
    Goomba

Message Count:
    Friend Code:
    0130-2446-1566
    I do that as well. I think both sides have there good points but personally I'm glad to have the option to "go digital"
  9. elite nintendo
    Goomba

Message Count:
    Friend Code:
    5069-3947-0346
    You would be able to use your new SD card if you transferred everything from ur old SD card to ur new one. But once you've used your new SD card in your 3DS it will not work on another 3DS
  10. Aiko Heiwa Salt 'n' Genki

Message Count:
    Nintendo Network ID:
    Aiko_Heiwa
    Friend Code:
    3566-1651-0881
    They also said retail shops can offer discounts on download tickets for the game. The same price as retail only applies to if you buy it DIRECTLY ON THE eSHOP

People have been able to download full retail titles of Xbox Live and PSN for years and no one has complained. And these are titles which are hundreds of times bigger than a Nintendo 3DS title.

If it takes you a long time to download what amounts to a probable 10-250 megabyte demo, then get faster internet.

Let your cousin borrow your system.
  11. Pink Tiger Stripes
    Chain Chomp

Message Count:
    Friend Code:
    3609-1609-7612
    I totally agree with you, elite! I still think they should do it for those who prefer that method.

But I will most always be buying the cartridges. And as for the download time? :mad: Seriously. It is so annoying. It fails on me probably five times before it fully downloads, and you just have to wait it out; can't 'escape'. Two mins for it to tell you it failed is much too much time spent staring at a screen.
    Sam+3ds and sayj like this.
  12. CUD
    Goomba

Message Count:
    Friend Code:
    1719-3197-5405
    It's more that Nintendo is handling the digital distribution of retail titles badly more than anything else. Look at the Vita for example, their retail titles available digitally are somewhat cheaper. The issue of download time/having to wait for it to finish isn't that big an issue considering you can choose the 'sleep mode download' option.

Personally I do prefer physical copies of games, so if Nintendo isn't even going to offer them at a cheaper price I don't see any reason why I would buy them on the eShop.
  13. sayj
    Thwomp

Message Count:
    Nintendo Network ID:
    sayjuk
    Friend Code:
    4124-4976-5216
    I prefer having the cartridge:D I hope in years to come it wont be the only way to play games ( like psvita) I like to have a collection ( as small as it is ) .
    Super3dsWiiUFan likes this.
  14. Lis4Real25 The Dark Knight Keyblade Wielder

Message Count:
    Nintendo Network ID:
    Lis4Real25
    Friend Code:
    8675-3098-6753
    I don't see why you would be against it, since they are giving you both options, retail and download. If you don't won't to buy it via download, don't. Just get it by retail. If they weren't going to release both ways then I would be against.
  15. Pazzie
    Chain Chomp

Message Count:
    Friend Code:
    1504-6914-1072.
    I'll never download a game the same price as a shop bought one. I like to sell my games on when I've finished with them or bored from playing them. The only thing you can do to a downloadable game is delete it off the memory card. A waste of money in my eyes.
    sayj likes this.
  16. marioking6
    Goomba

Message Count:
    Friend Code:
    1633-4212-4738
    no way i love doing that :ksmile:
  17. Sir Darth Vader
    Banned

Message Count:
    Friend Code:
    3652-0517-0614
    Well said Elite Nintendo.:) Very good points. Also no Club Nintendo points come when you download it. Also transferring the game? You can just give him the SD card but it's much easier to just give him the game card. I prefer game cards anyway.
  18. jaymichael78
    Goomba

Message Count:
    Friend Code:
    4167-4519-7585
    I think I am going to go with the Downloads. The packaging has been lack luster as of late. Plus I get to fill up my folders. And about the download time, purchase it and choose download later. Close the clamshell go have lunch or go to bed. It should be there when you open the clamshell up again.
  19. Sir Darth Vader
    Banned

Message Count:
    Friend Code:
    3652-0517-0614
    Yes but your memory card will get full eventually, I hate when that happens it's a pain where a game card is much better. The only advantage I see to the download is because sometimes shops don't stock games on time or not in stock, that's the only time I would buy a game an example of this would be Pacman and Galaga dimensions I wanted that game and my mum gave me money for that but it wasn't in stock anywhere and I only I only saw it once in a shop when Best Buy came to the UK but then it shut down and I haven't seen it since so I ended up getting DRIVER Renegade 3D.
  20. CUD
    Goomba

Message Count:
    Friend Code:
    1719-3197-5405
    You will most likely receive Club Nintendo points for buying these games digitally, as for your transferring point it's not as easy as them using your SD card so that's another point for the game card.
  21. NateX
    Goomba

Message Count:
    Friend Code:
    2879-0137-6072
    I think thati t's great that Nintendo is going digital, but I still prefer buying or renting the games instead of getting it digitally. I prefer buying the real version instead of the digital for two reasons:

1.) I can share the game with frinds, or we can trade games for a short time.

2.) If something happens to my 3DS, then I could lose all of the games I downloaded.
  22. CUD
    Goomba

Message Count:
    Friend Code:
    1719-3197-5405
    That's one of the bad things of Nintendo's lack of an account system like their competition.
  23. NateX
    Goomba

Message Count:
    Friend Code:
    2879-0137-6072
    Yeah, if they incorporate a system that if you download and loose it, then you can download it again for free then I may consider.
  24. Mae Tallick
    Piranha Plant

Message Count:
    I've always preferred downloading games for the PC.

But I prefer physical copies on console.

It really comes down to preference, I guess.

But I don't see any point in being against it... if you don't like it then don't use the service ._.
    Soupaface likes this.
  25. Yellowpikmin476
    Boo

Message Count:
    Nintendo Network ID:
    Yellowpikmon476 (What else?)
    Friend Code:
    4854-6467-1287
    They'd be space suckers, too!
  26. Happy
    Writer

Message Count:
    Nintendo Network ID:
    Benjamin01
    Friend Code:
    0791-1777-6168
    What I think they should do is, have special codes in the game cases so when you buy the game, you can put the code into the eshop and then you can download the digital copy for free. Then you have a copy on your 3DS and a hard copy incase you lose your 3ds.
    Homer Fanboy likes this.
  27. CUD
    Goomba

Message Count:
    Friend Code:
    1719-3197-5405
    That would be ideal for consumers but not for money hungry businesses like Nintendo.
  28. Soupaface
    Chain Chomp

Message Count:
    Friend Code:
    0216-1162-7967
    Same here.

The convenience factor of downloading games to my PC is something that I thoroughly enjoy, but doing so on my Vita/3DS, where I can get a decent amount of cash for my used games, causes me to flock more towards buying retail cartridges. I like this system of buying games only to try and make a small profit off of them later...that system however is less effective (as far as getting money back for used games) when it comes to a huge majority of PC games; and that's only one advantage I've found when downloading games to your computer.
  29. 0003mg
    It's Tail Time!

Message Count:
    To me, it depends on the situation. The manual is built into the game, so I don't need the booklet (nor do I ever read it :p). Sometimes, I can not go to a store and want to play a new game, so I can download it.
  30. chimferno
    Goomba

Message Count:
    Friend Code:
    PM me for it
    I'd only download if the price was cheaper or it was an out-of-print game. I have a 16Gb SD card so space isn't much of an issue, besides SD cards are dirt cheap now. £15 for 32Gb is great. What I want to see is old DS titles being re-released on the eShop.